Note that this Policy is not applicable to third party websites that can be accessed through links available on the Digital Channels. Additionally, this Policy does not regulate the processing of data carried out by third parties when they obtain data through the cookies installed. These data processing operations are the responsibility of the third parties who collect them.
1. What are Cookies?
Cookies are small information files, usually in html format, stored by a website in your equipment (computer, laptop, smartphone, tablet, etc.). All cookies and other tracking technologies, such as tags, pixel tags, web beacons, user IDs or other technological forms that may be developed, are regulated by this Policy (jointly, “Cookies”).
On each visit to the Digital Channels, your internet browser permits access to the Cookies installed on your equipment, allowing the recognition and memorization of your digital identifier (when applicable), as well as the immediate activation of your usage preferences. These Cookies will only be placed on your device with your express and opt-in consent, except in the case of necessary cookies which are required for the Digital Channels to work.
Regarding necessary cookies, users may delete them or set up their device to ensure that they are automatically blocked according to the instructions provided under Section 6 (Security, management and blocking of Cookies).
2. What are Cookies used for?
Cookies may be used to ensure that the Digital Channel’s essential features remain in working order, to improve its performance and to allow the collection of certain user information and preferences. Cookies may also be used to display advertisements that are more relevant for your interests, in accordance with your browser history and Cookies already installed.
The Digital Channels may set different types of cookies, with which category being related to a different purpose:
- Necessary Cookies – The necessary cookies are crucial to the basic functions of the site and the site will not function as intended without them. These cookies do not store any personally identifiable data.
- Functional Cookies – Functional cookies help perform certain functionality, such as sharing site content on social media platforms, gathering feedback, and other third-party features.
- Analytics Cookies – Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the site. These cookies help provide information on metrics such as the number of visitors, bounce rate, origin of traffic, etc. In addition, these cookies may also be used to perform conversion analysis as well as to determine how many times a User has clicked on a particular advertisement, supporting the Responsible Parties in making decisions and managing advertising on the Website.
- Advertising Cookies – Advertising cookies are used to deliver customized advertisements to visitors based on the pages they have visited before and to analyze the effectiveness of the advertising campaign.
The table below provides more detailed information about the Cookies we use, their functionality and their retention period.
4. Who is the entity responsible for placing the Cookies?
Each Cookie has a domain name associated with it, and may be classified, with respect to its origin, by the following categories:
- First party Cookies: managed and stored by the domains of the Controllers.
- Third party cookies: Cookies placed on the user’s device through a domain or device managed by a third party whose content or technological solution is integrated within the Digital Channels. In this case, the third party may process data collected through Cookies and Pestana Hotel Group may be unable to configure/change the cookies’ operation. These cookies will only be stored in your browser with your prior consent.
You may find more information regarding the first and third-party Cookies we used in the hyperlink provided in the previous section.
5. Cookie duration
Regarding their duration (storage period), cookies may be classified as follows:
- Session cookies: these cookies will be deleted when or shortly after the user ends the browser session or closes the browser or application used to access the Digital Channels.
- Persistent cookies: stored for longer periods, to delete these cookies either an active action by the user or the end of the defined storage period is required.
6. Security, management and blocking of Cookies
As cookies may be intercepted or altered, the following security actions are taken:
- Sensitive information such as passwords or personal data used for the purpose of booking reservations, such as the customer’s address or telephone number, is not stored;
- Unsecured orders (HTTP) are not sent when cookies are sent to the browser in plain text and may be intercepted.
To protect the users’ rights and their privacy and data protection, the Digital Channels make available a cookie management tool. By using this feature, the users can, at any time, manage a number of aspects of their cookie preferences, including obtaining information about the Cookies used or withdrawn consent for Cookie storage and access. Our cookie management tool can be accessed by clicking in the button below.
Alternatively, most browsers allow users to control, through their settings, the Cookies that are stored on their device and to review which Cookies are used, deleting them immediately if they no longer want to allow Cookies to be stored. Users can also change their browser settings to disable the storage of cookies or to notify them whenever a new cookie is set:
- For more information regarding “Private Browsing” and cookie management on Google Chrome, click here;
- For more information regarding “Private Browsing” and cookie management on Microsoft Edge, click here;
- For more information regarding “Private Browsing” and cookie management on Firefox, click here;
- For more information regarding “Private Browsing” and cookie management on Internet Explorer, click here;
- For more information regarding “Private Browsing” and cookie management on Opera, click here;
- For more information regarding “Private Browsing” and cookie management on Safari, click here;
Users should be aware that disabling Cookies on their browser settings can have an impact on the functioning of our Digital Channels, as the settings in most current browsers are not detailed enough to allow users to disable all Cookies that are not strictly necessary for the proper functioning of the websites they visit. On devices offering such features, users can have greater control over their Cookies by using free extensions available online.
7. Changes to the Policy
Last amended: 03/05/2023